- Writes originally-reported daily stories about city government, housing, labor, homelessness and policing for the digital edition.
- Produces in-depth enterprise pieces for the weekly newspaper.
- Records audio, shoots and edits photos and videos.
Surdna Reporting Fellow
- Wrote originally-reported articles ranging from 650-4000 words about politics, education, the prison system and social justice issues.
- Produced and edited videos and radio stories.
The Associated Press
- Covered spot news and enterprise stories about education and the prison system from the statehouse.
- Reported on the 2016 presidential race by interviewing voters and covering rallies and caucuses.
Digital Content Creator
UC Hastings College of the Law
San Francisco, California
- Reported and wrote articles about a broad range of areas of the law for the website and magazine.
- Shot photographs and produced videos featuring students, alumni and faculty.
- Edited and fact-checked magazine proofs.
UC Berkeley’s Graduate Division
- Secured a 50% open rate on GradNews, a monthly newsletter that serves a 10,000+ graduate student community.
- Pitched, reported and wrote 60 articles ranging from 200-3000 words under a tight deadline.
- Photographed campus events and produced compelling audio stories.
- Effectively managed social media.
- Reporter for TIME Asia based in Hong Kong, covering local events such as the 25th Anniversary of the Tiananmen Square Protests and Hong Kong-China relations
- Wrote daily briefs about breaking news, politics, science, health and technology for TIME.com
San Francisco, California
- Covered local and breaking news for the blog, Snitch.
- Wrote feature articles about arts and culture, science and technology for the newspaper
- Created accompanying videos, infographs and audio slideshows for articles.
- Covered the education and youth beat for a hyperlocal news site by attending school board meetings and maintaining contact with community members.
- Wrote in-depth stories about education policies in Oakland that solicited many comments from readers.
- Conducted investigations on pressing issues including the school-to-prison pipeline and loss of school funding.
- Visually enhanced print stories with videos, photos and infographics.
Writer and Photographer
- Wrote articles about local art and culture for the website and magazine.
- Contributed to the launching of PULP Magazine by writing articles, editing and contacting organizations for partnerships.
- Captured photos of Shanghai’s street life, which were picked up by other local news organizations.
- Promoted and co-organized Shanghai247 events.
- Interned as an associate editor for an urban webzine
- Uploaded listings to promote events
- Wrote articles about arts and culture, lifestyle, education, and health
- Published a column entitled ‘Teaching English with Melissa’ which provided advice and an insider’s perspective on Teaching English as a Second Language in China
B.A. Anthropology and Religious Studies
University of Pittsburgh
Master of Journalism
University of California, Berkeley
Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, MS Powerpoint, WordPress, Adobe Premiere, Adobe Audition, Adobe Photoshop, shooting and editing video and photography, HTML, CSS