Surdna Reporting Fellow
- Writes originally reported articles ranging from 650-4000 words about politics, education, the prison system and social justice issues.
- Produces and edits videos and radio stories.
The Associated Press
- Covered spot news and enterprise stories about education and the prison system from the statehouse.
- Reported on the 2016 presidential race by interviewing voters and covering rallies and caucuses.
Digital Content Creator
UC Hastings College of the Law
San Francisco, California
- Reports and writes articles about a broad range of areas of the law for the website and magazine.
- Shoots photographs and produces videos featuring students, alumni and faculty.
- Edits and fact-checks magazine proofs.
UC Berkeley’s Graduate Division
- Pitches and writes stories for UC Berkeley’s monthly newsletter, which reaches 10,000 graduate students, faculty and other members of the graduate community
- Photographs campus events
- Reporter for TIME Asia based in Hong Kong, covering local events such as the 25th Anniversary of the Tiananmen Square Protests and Hong Kong-China relations
- Wrote daily briefs about breaking news, politics, science, health and technology for TIME.com
San Francisco, California
- Covered local and breaking news for the blog, Snitch.
- Wrote feature articles about arts and culture, science and technology for the newspaper
- Created accompanying videos, infographs and audio slideshows for articles.
- Education reporter for a hyperlocal news site affiliated with U.C. Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism
- Wrote articles focusing on policy changes in Oakland, California school districts
- Highlighted issues that inner-city school children face — such as poverty, hunger and lack of resources
- Shot photographs and created multimedia for articles
- Acted as site editor
Writer and Photographer
- Wrote articles about urban life for the webzine and magazine
- Street life and event photographer
- Contributed to the launching of the magazine ‘PULP’ by writing articles, editing and contacting organizations for partnership
- Recorded material for the Shanghai24/7 podcast
- Interned as an associate editor for an urban webzine
- Uploaded listings to promote events
- Wrote articles about arts and culture, lifestyle, education, and health
- Published a column entitled ‘Teaching English with Melissa’ which provided advice and an insider’s perspective on Teaching English as a Second Language in China
B.A. Anthropology and Religious Studies
University of Pittsburgh
Master of Journalism
University of California, Berkeley
Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, MS Powerpoint, WordPress, Adobe Premiere, Adobe Audition, Adobe Photoshop, shooting and editing video and photography, HTML, CSS